by its very nature
and that’s what makes true love
you make a fragile thing strong."
And that is why there is so much to be said about true love. It’s beautiful, it’s messy --- it’s a million different things. There are so many ways to explain it, yet so many of us struggle to string together what we mean, finding love seemingly inexplicable.
That is why I love reading the work of famous poets like Maya Angelou, E.E. Cummings, Emily Dickinson, Robert Frost, Charles Bukowski, T.S. Eliot and so many others that inspire me. They all have such unique perspectives on love that we all can relate to.
With Valentine’s Day only a few weeks away I thought I’d gather together some of my favorite poems about love, I hope you enjoy them.
- "Love recognizes no barriers. It jumps hurdles, leaps fences, penetrates walls to arrive at its destination full of hope." - Maya Angelou
- “Unless you love someone, nothing else makes sense.”- E.E. Cummings
- “To love is so startling it leaves little time for anything else.” - Emily Dickinson
- “Love is an irresistible desire to be irresistibly desired.” - Robert Frost
- "Love breaks my bones and I laugh.” - Charles Bukowski
- “Love is most nearly itself when here and now cease to matter.” - T.S. Eliot
- “Keep love in your heart. A life without it is like a sunless garden when the flowers are dead. The consciousness of loving and being loved brings warmth and richness to life that nothing else can bring.” - Oscar Wilde
- “There are all kinds of love in this world, but never the same love twice” - F. Scott Fitzgerald
- A glimpse through an interstice caught, of a crowd of workmen and drivers in a bar-room around the stove late of a winter night, and I unremark’d seated in a corner, of a youth who loves me and whom I love, silently approaching and seating himself near, that he may hold me by the hand, a long while amid the noises of coming and going, of drinking and oath and smutty jest, there we two, content, happy in being together, speaking little, perhaps not a word.- Walt Whitman
- “You are like nobody since I love you.” ― Pablo Neruda
Which poem is your favorite? Share it in the comments below.