15 F. Scott Fitzgerald Quotes on Life, Love & Writing
There are so many things that inspire me to write. Books, movies, art, music, nature and so many other things. One of my all-time favorite writers is F. Scott Fitzgerald. If you haven’t read any of his books, you absolutely should. Whenever I am in need of some inspiration, I'll turn to one of his books and get lost in the pages.
Below are 15 of my favorite quotes from F. Scott Fitzgerald's The Great Gatsby, Tender Is The Night, Flappers and Philosophers, At Your Age & Porcelain and Pink.
I hope you enjoy them.
1. “So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.” ― F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Great Gatsby
2. “And so with the sunshine and the great bursts of leaves growing on the trees, just as things grow in fast movies, I had that familiar conviction that life was beginning over again with the summer.” - F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Great Gatsby
3. “I wasn't actually in love, but I felt a sort of tender curiosity.” ― F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Great Gatsby
4. “There are only the pursued, the pursuing, the busy and the tired.” ― F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Great Gatsby
5. “Actually that’s my secret — I can’t even talk about you to anybody because I don’t want any more people to know how wonderful you are.” ― F. Scott Fitzgerald, Tender Is the Night
6. “I won’t kiss you. It might get to be a habit and I can’t get rid of habits.” ― F. Scott Fitzgerald, Flappers and Philosophers
7. “Great books write themselves, only bad books have to be written.” ― F. Scott Fitzgerald
8. “If I knew words enough, I could write the longest love letter in the world and never get tired” ― F. Scott Fitzgerald
9. “An artist is someone who can hold two opposing viewpoints and still remain fully functional.” ― F. Scott Fitzgerald
10. “Once in a while I go off on a spree and make a fool of myself, but I always come back, and in my heart I love her all the time.” ― F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Great Gatsby
11. “Genius is the ability to put into effect what is on your mind.” ― F. Scott Fitzgerald
12. “You are mysterious. I love you. You’re beautiful, intelligent, and virtuous, and that’s the rarest known combination.” ― F. Scott Fitzgerald, Porcelain and Pink
13. “He drew her very tenderly close and their lips met like starved hearts.” ― F. Scott Fitzgerald, At Your Age
14. “There is no confusion like the confusion of a simple mind,” ― F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Great Gatsby
15. “Whenever you feel like criticizing any one,” he told me, “just remember that all the people in this world haven't had the advantages that you've had.” ― F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Great Gatsby
Which F. Scott Fitzgerald quote is your favorite? Share it in the comments below.